Categories
Panorama

Membership Renewed, No Ban: Koepka Immediately Back on the PGA Tour

First start already at Farmers, Vijay Singh is ready again, Charley Hull soon on YouTube. The Back Nine.

As expected, Brooks Koepka has officially opted out of the 2026 LIV Golf season starting February 7 in Riyadh; the five-time major champion will remain linked to the competing circuit but needs more family time. This was agreed amicably, according to LIV CEO Scott McNeil. Koepka is a competitor who thrives on high-level contests, which he only partially found in LIV Golf. He joined LIV in 2022 mainly because injuries forced him to consider ending his career, seeking a decent retirement fund. Thus, skipping the last contractual season isn’t surprising, though questions remain about any buyout or partial repayment. Still, the 35-year-old remains owner of LIV team Smash GC, which named Talor Gooch as new captain.

Speculation grows about where Koepka will next play. The DP World Tour, where he’d be immediately eligible—possibly with a penalty? Or back on the PGA Tour, where he faces a one-year suspension after his last LIV appearance, following softened lifetime bans imposed previously. Why be vindictive when every LIV returnee, especially a star, benefits the long-dominant Tour? This crucial question partly finds an answer. ESPN journalist Mark Schlabach reports Koepka formally applied last Friday to reactivate his PGA Tour membership, which was not extended after 2022.

An eventual ban would end in August, coinciding with the Tour Championship concluding the 2026 season. Yet Koepka would be eligible for 2027 amid the PGA Tour’s new schedule of about two dozen $20 million events with limited, top-tier fields—a perfect timing for his comeback, fitting his style. PGA Tour Enterprises investors would welcome such a marquee name.

Jon Rahm recently said on the ‘Subpar’ podcast, \”He might need some time, but I think he’ll return to the PGA Tour. He’ll probably play at least the minimum, the tournaments he likes, the big ones. And if he qualifies or gets into high-profile events, he’ll play those too.\” Perhaps the five-time major winner will receive leniency from the board, player directors, and the Tiger Woods-led competition committee, following Rory McIlroy’s recommendation to reinstate Koepka immediately.

Update: That has happened. Monday evening local time, news spread rapidly that Koepka is immediately eligible for the PGA Tour and will tee off at the Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines in late January. His participation in the WM Phoenix Open at TPC Scottsdale is also confirmed.

This was enabled by a new rule announced last Thursday called the ‘Returning Member Program’, allowing selected LIV players to rejoin the PGA Tour without suspension. Koepka’s recent golf achievements, especially the 2023 PGA Championship, were decisive.

The PGA Tour states this special rule applies to major and Players winners from the past three years and expires February 2. \”This is a one-time, clearly defined opportunity and not a precedent,\” said PGA Tour CEO Brian Rolapp. \”Once this window closes, there is no guarantee of